Friday, January 14, 2011

John Paul II to be beatified

I've just heard on the TV that Pope John Paul II is to be beatified in May. I have to say that this concerns me somewhat. I've never been an advocate of 'Subito Santo' as I think we must allow time to pass & the fervour to die down so that God's will can be clearly seen. The actions (or inactions) of the proposed subject must be given adequate time to prove themselves. Whilst not in any way doubting the good works of Pope John Paul we must be aware that usually only good works are publicised. Sadly the role of Devil's Advocate has been done away with & such was his area of investigation that hidden 'faults' could be brought to light. Surely our Coptic bretheren have it right when they insist that no such moves be commenced until (I believe) 70 years after the subject's death.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it does seem quick, but his works, beliefs and holiness were already under intense scrutiny whilst he was alive (ditto for Mother Theresa); and many of us were already calling him "the Great" long before he died.

    I trust Ben XVI (a traditionalist; one of the people who knew him best; and now his successor as Vicar of Christ) on this one.

    It's also worth pointing out that St Francis of Assisi was not just beatified, but even canonised less than 2 years after his death.

    ReplyDelete